This flavorful, colorful dish looks impressive enough to serve to friends at a party, but it’s actually simple enough to whip up on a busy weeknight. With plenty of protein, veggies, and fragrant spices, this perfect Spanish paella recipe will quickly become a staple meal in your home.
- 4 ½ cups chicken or vegetable stock
- Pinch saffron threads
- 1 Tbsp oil
- 2 chicken breast fillets, sliced
- 2 Spanish chorizo sausages, sliced
- Medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 1 tomato, chopped
- 2 cups arborio rice
- ½ cup frozen baby peas
- 1 red pepper, deseeded and sliced
- 1 tsp Spanish smoked paprika
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Heat stock until it’s just boiling, and then add saffron threads. Set aside.
- Heat up your saute pan over medium heat for approximately 2 minutes.
- Add half the oil (½ Tbsp) and half of the chicken and chorizo pieces to the pan. Once cooked, set aside, and then cook the rest of the protein (working in two batches ensures that each piece is thoroughly cooked). After the second batch is finished, set it aside.
- With the remaining ½ Tbsp of oil, cook the onion, garlic and pepper in the saute pan over medium-low heat until the vegetables have softened, approximately 2-3 minutes.
- Mix in the paprika, stir well, and cook for 3 minutes.
- Add tomatoes (and salt and pepper, if you’d like), and cook for 5 minutes.
- Add the rice and ½ the stock to the mixture. Stir well to combine, and then cook over medium heat without stirring for 5-7 minutes.
- Add the remaining stock, but do not stir. Then, place the chicken and chorizo pieces back in the pan and press them into the rice.
- Sprinkle the peas over the dish and cook for another 7-10 minutes, or until the rice is cooked and the stock is almost completely absorbed.
- Remove from heat, cover, and let stand for 5 minutes before serving.
Another key ingredient for a perfect paella is the right saute pan to prevent uneven cooking and food from sticking to the pan. If you’re searching for the perfect pan to upgrade your cookware, the 9” Copper Coeur saute pan is the versatile, dependable option your kitchen has been missing! The precision-grade copper and stainless steel hybrid ensures that heat is evenly distributed and retained for every meal you make for years to come.