French-born chef Ludo Lefebvre, the owner of three popular French restaurants in L.A., famously adores using copper cookware in his kitchens. Lefebvre stated in one interview, “I would not feel French, if I did not have copper in my kitchen.” He goes on to explain that copper not only looks beautiful and elegant, but it’s durable enough to last an entire lifetime if it’s maintained properly.
Although copper cookware can seem a bit pricey when compared to other cookware materials, professional chefs and beginner cooks alike swear by copper’s superior benefits when it comes to durability, quality, and general upkeep. Here are some of the top reasons why copper kitchenware can be a priceless investment for your own home:
1. Provides Excellent Heat Distribution
The combination of copper with other high-quality metals ensures that anything you cook will be heated evenly and quickly. There’s a reason why copper is used for electrical wires; it’s fantastic at conducting both heat and electricity. The metal alloy prevents food from sticking to the surface, no matter whether you’re whipping up an easy chicken stir-fry or a fancy dessert.
2. Has an Antibacterial Effect
Stainless steel has been heralded as a hygienic material for professional and home kitchens alike, but copper is actually more hygienic. Germs and bacteria can’t survive on copper, making it a naturally antibacterial surface. It’s also easy to keep clean without any hassle; since food won’t stick to the copper, all you need is a mild soap and damp cloth to keep all your cookware looking flawless!
3. Perfect for Cooking Delicate Dishes
Julia Child often touted her love for using copper in a wide variety of her recipes. “Copper pots are the most satisfactory of all to cook in, as they hold and spread the heat well and their tin lining does not discolor food,” she wrote in Mastering the Art of French Cooking. Mac Kohler, the founder of Brooklyn Copper Cookware, agrees with this sentiment. “I’ll go so far as to say that the Maillard reaction and French mother sauces all exist because of copper cookware,” says Kohler. “They could have never been finessed without these finely calibrated pans.”
The rapid, even heating of copper allows for chefs to effortlessly sear and saute food to perfection without worrying about overcooking challenging or delicate ingredients. For sauces, jams, or other foods that need to reach a specific consistency before being removed from heat, copper is the best tool for the job.
4. Flavors Remain Unchanged
With some types of cookware, scents and tastes from past meals can linger on the surface even after it’s been thoroughly cleaned. You don’t have to worry about this with copper pans or bakeware since food won’t stick to this type of material. Your food will never taste metallic when you cook with copper, either.
Best Picks for First-Time Copper Users
Before you replace all your cookware with copper products right away, it’s recommended to start with a few pieces at a time to get used to the new material and determine if it’s a good fit for your lifestyle. Here are some of the most versatile copper products for your kitchen that you can use for all of your favorite dishes:
- Classic Copper Roasting Pan. This 12” x 8” oven-safe pan is as functional as it is beautiful. With a stainless steel lining, high copper sides, and a sleek modern finish, you’ll want to show off this durable piece of cookware even when you’re not cooking with it.
- Classic Copper Fry Pan. This round 8” fry pan has a 2.3 mm copper base with a 0.2 mm stainless steel lining, allowing you to whip up everything from omelettes to sauteed vegetables with ease. To ensure you of its high-quality materials and durability, this pan comes with a lifetime guarantee.
- Covered Copper Mini Soup Pot. This 4” soup pot will be a thoroughly appreciated addition to any kitchen. Featuring an aluminum center and a stainless steel lining, this copper pot is ideal for preparing sauces, dessert toppings, soups, and other toppings to bring your main courses to life.
- Pro Copper Tea Kettle. This 3-ply copper tea kettle has an aluminum core that allows the water to heat up quickly, but the outside of the material will cool down quickly enough to be safe to touch within minutes. Another unique feature of this kettle is the specially-designed whistle; instead of a piercing screech, you’ll hear a lovely, soft note when your tea is ready!